Monday, November 7, 2011

Italian Vacation

Just for a little taste this is what my next Italian Vacation is going to look like. Although I’ll be waiting for spring, I’m already taking care of the arrangements. Let’s say, I like to plan in advance!
I’m a northern kind of girl when it comes to Italy. The south can be very beautiful but I rather stay surrounded by stylish people while walking around cities and I’m NOT a beach lover when it comes to Italy.
That is the reason why I choose Bologna as the HQ for my vacation trip to visit and re-visit, discover and re-discover new places around.


View of Bologna and the "due torri"


View of the "Piazza Maggiore" and "S Petronio Cathedral"


Bologna is a historical city, with around 380,000 inhabitants. Although it is known and loved by most Italians, it is less well known among foreign visitors. It is also famous for its cuisine (la cucina Bolognese). This is the place where the Italian pasta, as we know it, has been invented!!! (I’m sure you’re starting to like it, already). Bologna is considered second only to Venice (which is just an hour and a half drive away or even less by train) in beauty by many Italians and certainly has one of the largest and “best preserved” historic downtowns among Italian cities. It is much loved for its architecture, especially its palette of terracotta reds, burnt oranges, and warm yellows, hence the name of Bologna la rossa (Bologna the red). As any Italian city you can find a street market (Mercato di Mezzo) full of colors with very typical products. But don’t forget, you’re in the heart of the Emilia-Romagna region! This is the region of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Parma ham, Mortadella (or as Americans name it, bolony or bologna) and Balsamic vinegar. But also home to Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini just to name a few of the best known names on the motor world. If you have to convince your guy, you’ll know what to say!



Porticoes on the street


Store on the Mercato di Mezzo


Street of Mercato di Mezzo


Via Vecchie Pescherie (Mercato di Mezzo)
 
I’ll probably re-read “The Broker” before going to Bologna…and Venice, Florence (also for all the shopping at The Mall and Space nearby), Siena…my list is not closed yet!


"The Broker" by John Grisham



Venice (Venezia)



Florence (Firenze)

Siena

See you,

Carmen Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment